Sunday, September 20, 2009

Today

Today...

I did not want to wake up. At all. Neither did the kids.
We left early for church...so early in fact that we got Dutch Bros drinks. Mmmmm, delish.
I read the Sunday paper while feeding the baby breakfast.
Clipped coupons and dreamt of all the pretties I would buy if I won the lottery.
I watched my dad and my son make shadow puppets on the church floor during the service.
I picked corn on the cob, potatoes and jalapenos out of the garden with my dad for the freshest lunch ever.
My dad laughed at me when I saw a huge worm on the corn and freaky freaked out.
I heard my mom laughing in the kitchen at my son from down in the garden.
She had found a picture he had drawn one other day at church.
It was a stick figure little boy (him) scratching his bum. I know, right?

He drew a picture of my dad on a motorcycle shooting a grouse.
The kids and I had lunch with my parents.
My son sat on my dad's lap and watched his moose hunting trip from 1994.
They also watched random videos from when I was a snotty teenager.
I felt awful.
My mom and I canned 16 pints of homemade salsa.
Fresh tomatoes, garlic, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, essential ingredients.
The kitchen smelled incredible.
We giggled, talked and had a great time.
I wanted a nap super bad.
I didn't get one.
My sweet husband coached baseball all day long.
I kissed his face off when he got home.
I made breakfast for dinner.
Caramel apple french toast, sausage, hash browns...the stuff champions are made of.
The family went for a walk and it was a little bit chilly.
I read a little of the book that I'm struggling with. (Still Life with Woodpecker)
I tucked in a little boy who makes me smile everyday.
I tucked in a little girl who melts my heart.
I crawled in bed with a man who makes my whole life better.
Was a good, good day.

3 comments:

  1. Home away from home. I'm sorry I missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ada, you are a shining example to the rest of us in the art of appreciating what we have. Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete